Friday, October 9, 2026

Letter to Bar Association

 

Date: 30th September’ 2026

To
The Hon’ble President
High Court Bar Association
High Court, Calcutta

 

Subject: Representation seeking protection of my allotted Drawer No. 116 at Room No. 15, High Court Bar Association, from any proposed re-allotment without my consent.

 

Respected Sir,

 

I, Ashok Kumar Singh, Advocate, Enrollment No. F/872/1199/2000, most respectfully submit this representation for your kind consideration and necessary intervention concerning my allotted Drawer bearing No. 116, situated at Room No. 15, High Court Bar Association, High Court, Calcutta.

 

At the outset, I respectfully state that I have had the privilege of being a member of this Esteemed High Court Bar Association since the year 2000, being the year of my enrolment as an Advocate with the Bar Council of West Bengal. Thus, I have been associated with this Hon’ble Bar and its institutional life for approximately twenty-five years.

 

Ever since my enrolment as an Advocate in the year 2000, I have been regularly practising before the High Court at Calcutta and, in the ordinary course of my professional practice, I have been using the facilities and amenities provided by the High Court Bar Association.

 

In due course, a sitting arrangement was allotted to me in Room No. 15 of the High Court Bar Association, along with the corresponding Drawer bearing No. 116. The said drawer was allotted to me upon payment of the requisite charges and in accordance with the prevailing practice and arrangement of the Association.

 

Since such allotment, the said drawer has remained associated with me and has been used by me in connection with my professional practice and requirements as an Advocate.

 

I respectfully submit that, during the period commencing from the year 2020, the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic caused substantial disruption to the functioning of Courts, Bar Associations and the legal profession as a whole.

 

The High Court, like other institutions, experienced significant restrictions and changes in its functioning. Consequently, my professional engagement and physical appearance at the High Court became considerably less frequent than in the pre-pandemic period.

 

As a natural consequence thereof, my visits to the High Court Bar Association and my physical presence in the Bar became less frequent than they had been earlier.

 

However, I respectfully emphasize that there was never any intention on my part to sever my association with the High Court Bar Association, nor did I ever surrender or relinquish my allotted sitting arrangement or Drawer No. 116.

 

My visits to the Bar Association have continued intermittently, and I continue to remain a member of this Esteemed Association.

 

I further respectfully state that my membership subscription and other applicable dues payable to the High Court Bar Association have been duly paid and are updated in full.

 

There is, therefore, no question of my membership having ceased, having been terminated, or having otherwise become incapable of recognition on account of any outstanding subscription or other financial liability towards the Association.

 

I continue to remain a member of the High Court Bar Association and continue to have the legitimate expectation that the facilities and arrangements allotted to me as a member shall not be disturbed except in accordance with the applicable rules, regulations and established practice of the Association.

 

A few days ago, I came to hear information to the effect that my Drawer bearing No. 116 in Room No. 15 of the High Court Bar Association was likely to be allotted to a Junior Advocate.

 

I respectfully make it clear that, as of the date of this representation, I am not in a position to confirm the correctness of such information, and I do not wish to make any allegation against any particular person.

 

Nevertheless, the information has caused me considerable concern and distress because I have neither surrendered the said drawer nor requested the Association to cancel, withdraw or re-allot the same.

 

I continue to be alive, active in the profession to the extent permitted by my circumstances, and continue to retain my association with the High Court Bar Association. I also continue to use my allotted drawer whenever I visit the Bar.

 

I most respectfully submit that mere reduction in the frequency of my physical visits to the Bar Association, particularly in the extraordinary circumstances following the COVID-19 pandemic, cannot by itself reasonably be treated as an act of surrender or relinquishment of my allotted facility.

 

At no point of time have I submitted any written request, application, declaration or communication to the High Court Bar Association stating that (i) I have surrendered Drawer No. 116; (ii) I have relinquished my right to use the said drawer; (iii) I have consented to cancellation of the allotment; (iv) I have consented to re-allotment of the drawer to any other member; or (v) I have ceased to require the said drawer.

 

On the contrary, I continue to assert my entitlement to the drawer allotted to me, subject, of course, to the rules and regulations governing the High Court Bar Association.

 

I also respectfully bring to your kind notice that, at present, my health is not in the best condition. I am presently suffering from high blood pressure and diabetes, owing to which my physical movements and regular attendance at the High Court premises have, at times, been affected.

 

The occasional absence of a member from the Bar, particularly owing to health circumstances and the extraordinary professional disruption caused by the pandemic, ought not to be construed as abandonment of his membership rights or as an implied surrender of a facility which was duly allotted to him.

 

My reduced physical presence should therefore kindly be considered in the proper perspective.

 

I have now completed approximately twenty-five years of professional association with the legal profession and the High Court Bar.

 

The High Court Bar Association is not merely an administrative body providing physical facilities to Advocates; it represents the institutional fraternity, dignity and professional identity of members of the Bar.

 

An Advocate who has remained associated with the Association for such a long period naturally attaches considerable professional and sentimental value to the sitting arrangement and facilities allotted to him.

 

The drawer allotted to me is not merely a numbered compartment. It forms part of my long-standing professional association with this Hon’ble Bar and has remained connected with my practice as an Advocate since its allotment.

 

I therefore respectfully submit that any proposal to remove or re-allot the same, particularly without notice to me and without obtaining my consent, would cause me considerable hardship and would be deeply hurtful to me as a long-standing member of the Bar.

 

In the circumstances stated above, I most respectfully request your good office to kindly verify whether any proposal, decision or arrangement has been made for re-allotment of Drawer No. 116, Room No. 15, High Court Bar Association, to any other Advocate.

 

If any such proposal is under consideration, I humbly request that the same may kindly be kept in abeyance forthwith, particularly since I have never surrendered the drawer or consented to its re-allotment.

 

I further request that no third-party interest or right may kindly be created in respect of Drawer No. 116 without (a) prior notice to me; (b) giving me an opportunity to place my case before the appropriate authority of the Association; and (c) following the applicable rules, regulations and established procedure of the High Court Bar Association.

 

In view of the above facts and circumstances, I most respectfully request your goodself, as the Hon’ble President of this Esteemed Association, to kindly intervene personally and ensure that my Drawer No. 116, Room No. 15, High Court Bar Association, High Court, Calcutta, is not allotted or transferred to any other Advocate without my prior consent and without following due procedure.

 

I further request that my long-standing membership since the year 2000, my approximately twenty-five years of association with the High Court Bar, my continued membership, the fact that my subscription is fully updated, and my continued intermittent use of the Bar facilities may kindly be taken into consideration.

 

I have always regarded the High Court Bar Association as my professional home and have the highest respect for its office-bearers and its institutional traditions. I am therefore approaching you with the utmost respect and with the bona fide expectation that my grievance will receive your sympathetic and immediate consideration.

 

I reiterate that I have never surrendered Drawer No. 116, nor have I authorised or consented to its allotment to any other person.

 

I therefore humbly request that the dignity, legitimate expectation and long-standing association of a member who has been associated with this Hon’ble Bar since the year 2000 may kindly be protected, and that the existing allotment in my favour may kindly be maintained unless I myself voluntarily surrender the same or the Association, acting strictly in accordance with its applicable rules and procedure, determines otherwise after giving me due notice and opportunity.

 

I shall remain grateful for your kind intervention and appropriate action in the matter.

Thanking you,

 

Yours faithfully,

 

 

Ashok Kumar Singh
Advocate
Enrollment No.: F/872/1199/2000
Member, High Court Bar Association
High Court, Calcutta

Date: 30th September’ 2026
Place: Kolkata

 

No comments:

Post a Comment